Saturday, November 25, 2006

Scrooge lives and he posts at the DUmp

All I can say is Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year:

Cyrano (1000+ posts) Sat Nov-25-06 04:06 PM
Original message
Holidays are bullshit. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, et al.
Edited on Sat Nov-25-06 04:36 PM by Cyrano
And let's throw in July 4th, Veteran's Day, Columbus Day, New Year's Day, and any other "holiday" you choose. Many of these days
are no more than days off from school or work. But what do they represent?

Christmas: The day that Christ was born? Easter? The day he arose from the dead?: New Year's Day: The day on which many western civilizations celebrate the 365th (or, if you count leap year,
the 366th day on which the Earth made another rotation around the sun.)

Many, many moons ago, a friend told me that 99% of virtually everything is bullshit. He was far wiser that I realized at the time.

But the biggest piece of bullshit of all time is Christmas: Yesterday marked the "starting line" of Christmas, THE GREAT CHRISTIAN HOLIDAY. Yesterday, everyone who could walk, crawl, limp, or sprint attacked the stores like they were giving away (depending on your desires) Brad Pitt, or Angelina Jolie look-a-likes.

Thanksgiving? A long trip, driving, or flying to spend time with
our families, trying to find something to say after not hearing from each others for years. (A little mercy on this one. Many did go out of their way to go home again.)

And then there's our patriotic holidays. July 4th, Veteran's Day, Flag Day, and all the other so-called days on which are meant to make us feel "patriotic" while turning off our minds and our power of critical thinking. I ache for everyone who has ever lost a son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, or meaningful other in any war. But, and trust me on this, our government doesn't give a flying fuck about your loss.

And what about Thanksgiving? All it was originally, was a prelude to mass murder committed on native Americans by Europeans who were going to establish an empire from sea to shining sea. (At the time, the invaders didn't know how far their empire reach.)

So forgive me if I don't join in your holiday celebrations. But if I may, I'd like to give you my view of what we should be celebrating. -- Oh, what the hell. I can't say it any better than John Lennon did when he wrote "Imagine."

(Sorry that this was posted three times. I tried to get the first two deleted but failed. I tried to get moderator help, but they seem to be over-gorged on turkey.)

No comments: